What are the benefits of solar panels?
If you’re thinking about installing a solar panels system, it’s important to consider the benefits and drawbacks involved with going solar. Solar is a revolutionary energy solution for property owners of any type, but like any energy decision, choosing to go solar has various advantages and disadvantages you should keep in mind. In this article, we’ll outline some of the most important pros and cons of installing solar.
Does high electricity cost and erratic power supply prevent you from freely using electricity, the way you would wish to? What if we tell you that the power of the sun, if channelized, can power up your TVs, ACs, heaters, refrigerators, computers, food processing units, and other devices without interruptions and at the same time, provide you a great opportunity to save on your monthly electricity costs. Investing in solar energy is the future! Not only does it help you in reducing electricity cost, but it also reduces your carbon footprint, your dependency on centralized power supply, and much more.Let us look at the five benefits of adopting solar power for homes.
Save lots of money!
Immediately after installation, you might notice a big dip in your electricity bills. The major advantage of having solar power at home is that you can save on monthly electricity costs. A joint study by policy and research group CEEW and power distribution company BYPL concluded that installing rooftop panels can save up to 95% of your monthly electricity bills. Switching to solar electricity, aids in decreasing your dependence on the grid based electricity because the solar panels directly allow you to generate electricity with the help of the sun. Reducing electricity costs will,in turn, help you in increasing your savings significantly. Thus, a solar power system ensures year-round service, efficiency, and savings. If you have an off-grid setup, then you can completely eliminate all your electricity costs.
Increase your property value
Did you know that installing solar panels can also increase your property value by 3-4%? Equipping your home with a solar energy system drives up property values and offers an attractive selling point for real estate agents to market your property. Research conducted in the USshowed that homeowners with solar power systems not only regain the initial cost of their solar systems when they sell, but they also receive a premium that will increase the return on their investment.
Freedom from centralized grids
Once you go solar, you automatically decrease your dependency on centralized private or government grids. In a climate of increasing demand and inconsistent supply, going independent is the safest and most sustainable bet in the long run. Solar power provides a secure future investment. Adding a battery backup to your solar power system will provide you with additional independence. In such a case, you would now not only be generating your own power but also storing it for use when the main grid fails. This will give you total energy independence.
Contributing to a better environment
Even though fossil fuel-generated electricity is convenient, it is disastrous for the environment. By adopting solar rooftop systems, you have invested in a green and renewable energy source which is beneficial for the environment. Solar power is completely clean, it produces no air pollution, no water pollution, and no greenhouse gas effects. It is also carbon-free, no harmful emissions are released when electricity is being produced by solar panels. It also reduces the need for finite resources. You can now enjoy your renewable, clean power every day continuously guilt-free!
It is not that costly
Yes, the initial cost of installation can be high, however, government schemes and subsidies exist that provide rebates to help with the initial cost. Also remember that these costs are one-time. Solar panel systems are extremely durable and require little to no maintenance over their productive lifetime, which can span 25 years or more. Solar systems are also extremely easy to maintain. The main maintenance that these panels require is an occasional dusting to remove dirt, leaves, or any other fragments. One can always call a professional, to clean these panels once in a while.
Solar power is the most popular type of alternate electricity source that can be easily installed in your home. It is a reliable and sustainable power resource that when channelized can run any and every device in your home. There has never been a better time to invest in solar energy, with the national and international agencies committed to promoting solar power, providing subsidies, and setting renewable energy targets for India and the world. Because of its economic and environmental benefits, homeowners investing in solar power is the most sustainable solution for all your electricity concerns. Invest today in your own solar rooftop system for more savings, better service, and improved lifestyle!
Solar Panels Advantages:
- Solar power is pollution-free and causes no greenhouse gases to be emitted after installation
- Reduced dependence on foreign oil and fossil fuels
- Renewable clean power that is available every day of the year, even cloudy days produce some power
- Return on investment unlike paying for utility bills
- Virtually no maintenance as solar panels last over 30 years
- Creates jobs by employing solar panel manufacturers, solar installers, etc. and in turn helps the economy
- Excess power can be sold back to the power company if the grid inner tied
- Ability to live grid free if all power generated provides enough for the home/building
- Can be installed virtually anywhere; in a field to on a building
- Use batteries to store extra power for use at night
- Solar can be used to heat water, power homes and buildings, even power cars
- Safer than traditional electric current
- Efficiency is always improving so the same size solar that is available today will become more efficient tomorrow
- Aesthetics are improving making the solar more versatile compared to older models; i.e. printing, flexible, solar shingles, etc.
- Federal grants, tax incentives, and rebate programs are available to help with initial costs
- No trenching is needed since the solar can be close to or at the place of installation
- High initial costs for material and installation and long ROI (however, with the reduction in the cost of solar over the last 10 years, solar is becoming more cost feasible every day)
- Needs lots of space as efficiency is not 100% yet
- No solar power at night so there is a need for a large battery bank
- Some people think they are ugly (I am definitely not one of those!)
- Devices that run on DC power directly are more expensive
- Depending on geographical location the size of the solar panels vary for the same power generation
- Cloudy days do not produce as much energy
- Solar panels are not being massed produced due to a lack of material and technology to lower the cost enough to be more affordable (this is starting to change)
- Solar-powered cars do not have the same speeds and power as typical gas-powered cars (this too is starting to change)
- Lower solar production in the winter months
There is more solar power that hits the earth every day than the current population can use in a year. Let’s keep working to harness this great power and put it to good use. With efficiencies evolving, pricing being reduced every day, and new technologies being experimented with, it will be interesting to see where we are in the solar industry in the next couple of years. What do you think the future will look like?
Solar Panels pros and cons FAQs
Why are solar panels good?
Primarily, solar panels are good because they can reduce electricity bills and generate renewable energy, which is far better for the environment.
Why are solar panels good for the environment?
Solar panels are good for the environment because they produce clean, renewable energy with no greenhouse gas emissions. Generating solar power at home can significantly reduce your carbon footprint.
What are the two main disadvantages of solar energy?
The two main disadvantages of solar energy are the high upfront cost of purchasing panels and their reliance on sunny weather.
What are the top advantages of solar energy?
What are the top disadvantages of solar energy?
Is solar energy good for the environment?